Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pesto recipe

Over the weekend, I met up with a few of my neighbors for wine. We all have our own separate lives, but we share one thing in common. Our love for rural living, which is why we chose to live here in Sleepy Hollow, the only untouched pocket in the suburbs of Chino Hills. We are so fortunate to live in a beautiful place surrounded by nature.

That evening, we took a tour of one of my neighbor's beautiful garden, and she gave me fresh thyme, parsley, and basil to take home. I thought this was a good opportunity to share an easy Classic Pesto recipe with you!


Classic Pesto made with freshly picked basil
 A jar of pesto is something we have on hand because it is so easy to make, and easy to use.
We add it to penne pasta with chicken and fresh tomatoes, my children spread it on their
pizza slices and garlic bread, and it adds another dimension to turkey sandwiches too. Yum!

::: CLASSIC PESTO ::: (makes 1 cup )

Ingredients:

*4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
*1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
*1/3 cup pine nuts or other nuts
  (I've used walnuts, almonds, & macadamia nuts & all turned out great)
*2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
*1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  (any will do, but I like to use Parmigiano Reggiano)
*squeeze of lemon juice
*1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
*dash of pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Store in an air tight jar or container.

Enjoy!